Friday, September 30, 2011

Losing Abu Dhabi


I’ve never been much good at goodbyes. I feel like I should have something profound or at least funny to say, but in the moment I end up being shy and awkward, sputtering out something trite like “it was nice knowing you – take care.” So when I realized I needed to write my final post, I put it off. Admittedly, I’ve also been busier than I anticipated, since I found myself fully employed only days after we arrived, but mostly I’ve been ignoring you all, avoiding the inevitable.

Honestly, I could keep this blog going for some time, as I have a laundry list of impressions and experiences about the transition back to the U.S. – our brief trip to Boston, seeing our families again, the culture shock of living in the South (or strange lack thereof) – that have been accumulating since we left Abu Dhabi. Sometimes I find myself blogging in my head, trying to find the best way to describe my current cultural predicament and wishing I had my camera in hand.

But with Sam fully engaged in school and I immersed in my new work life, it just doesn’t feel right to keep this blog going. Maybe it’s a coping mechanism for dealing with so much change in my relatively short life, but at least for now I need to leave behind all things Abu Dhabi, not to keep comparing then and now, or there with here, but to face forward and embrace what lies ahead. And it would seem that my new schedule and work responsibilities are forcing me to take a good long break from blogging any topic.

So, I guess this is goodbye. It was nice knowing you. Take care.

Coming full circle...Sam and I take our last photo in Abu Dhabi just before our plane leaves the ground.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I know you for reals. And I live in a place that you visit! :) I do hope you keep writing...you have such a strong voice.
    Did you wear the same shirt, even?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eye, Christina. A total coincidence, and a sign it was time to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care! It was lovely reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and found it quite informative for myself. Although i am not a good surfer, i am sure looking forward towards being a regular visitor of your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww.. you two look cute together :)

    ReplyDelete